The Wingspan staff joins the Howard County Public School System community in reflecting on this day with the following announcement:
On September 11, 2001, we witnessed unthinkable acts of terrorism within the boundaries of the United States. Since that day, September 11 has been designated as Patriot’s Day and serves as a time to remember those who were lost on that day and to honor those who continue to fight for our freedoms. Please join me in a moment of silence to honor…
– Those who lost their lives in the plane crash in Pennsylvania, at the Pentagon, and in the World Trade Center;
– The heroic firefighters, police officers, and Port Authority officers who lost their lives while saving the lives of others;
– The families and friends who lost loved ones;
– The courageous spirit of the men and women in our Nation’s Armed Forces stationed around the world;
– And, finally, the firefighters, police officers, government workers, and military personnel who have dedicated their lives to ensuring our freedom and protecting our democracy.
As we have done on this day in the past, let us send a message to the world, that we, the people of the United States of America, stand united as a nation celebrating democracy in the land of the free and the home of the brave.